Thursday, December 31, 2009

America The Beautiful

I watched this documentary by Darryl Roberts about a week ago. I wasn't sure what to expect, but it was certainly eye-opening. The documentary follows a 12 year old girl, Gerrun. It depicts her rise to the top of the fashion world and sudden decline. After being unable to book any shows or jobs Gerrun struggles with her self-esteem, repeatedly saying, "I'm ugly." Roberts also shows his audience other harms of the materialistic beauty focused culture we live in. He interviews people who have been affected by eating disorders, sheds light on the harms of plastic surgery, and examines the dangerous toxins that are present in makeup. A truly eye-opening film that changed my perspectives on beauty. I would highly recommend it to women and men, young and old.

No comments: