Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Christmas Cranberry Cookies

Christmas break means cooking to me. I have been so busy with helping my mom get ready for the holidays, taking care of the puppy, and working on my own projects that I have had very little time to bake. Baking is my release; it gives me a chance to feel utterly in control and calm. "Add this to that and stir. Mix in these. Sift. Stir that in. Spoon onto cookie sheet. Bake until golden and firm." Baking is order and science. There is no guessing. I likethe certainty of baking and as an experienced baker I feel even more certain in my skills to actualize a recipe to perfection.

I finally found time to bake last Thursday, but was clueless as to what to make initially. I have so many recipes to try out that it is overwhelming. I narrowed it down to Triple Chocolate Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies for this baking adventure. They seemed like the logical choice for several reasons:
1. I had fresh cranberries already.
2. Cranberries and cinnamon are excellent warm, winter ingredients. (I firmly believe in making food that is appropriate for the season. Who wants peppermint bark in the summer?)
3. Old fashioned oats are so good for you! (trying to bake healthier lately...it's so hard!)

With all this in mind, I went for it. Many were skeptical of the chocolate-cranberry combination, but I had faith in them. Sure enough these cookies turned out amazing, better than I expected in fact! They were sweet, but not overly sweet, with a slight tart twang from the cranberry, and most importantly they were chewy yet firm on the edges (my favorite kind of cookie). These tart chocolately delights have become one of my favorite cookie recipes of all time. I used them in my Christmas packages. Wrapped up in a plastic bag and a sheet of tissue paper these cookies will travel great. So all you skeptics out there, try this recipe! It has a subtle, yet complex flavor, that hits several parts of the palette. Let me know what you think of them if you dare to try them out!

Get the recipe here:
Triple Chocolate Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies

No comments: