Saturday, December 26, 2009

Peanut Butter Blossoms


Peanut Butter Blossoms are a classic cookie. Growing up I would have them at various church and school events, but they were never made in my own home. On Christmas Eve Eve I had a few hours to myself and tackled the classic cookie. The recipe calls for shortening, which scares me immensely, but I decided not to veer from the tried and true recipe I found in my mom's old Shady Grove Methodist Church cookbook. These cookies were so easy and so scrumptious. Give them a try, they won't disappoint!

Recipe:
1 3/4 c. flour
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. peanutbutter (smooth)
1/2 c. brown sugar, packed
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. shortening
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1 pkg. Hershey Kisses

Beat egg in a bowl until light and fluffy. Add all other ingredients together except for Kisses and mix until you are able to clump the batter together into a dough. (it will be very dry). Shape into a teaspoon size ball. Do not flatten.

Bake at 375 degrees 10 to 12 minutes on cookie sheet. Remove from oven. Press Kiss down into the middle of the cookie immediately just until the edges start to crack. Let cool. Be sure to eat one hot! Yum!

No comments: